Congratulations to the Chicago Public Library. The Chicago Tribune announced today that the Chicago Public Library will receive a major national medal from first lady.
The following is taken directly from the Chicago Tribune:
First lady Michelle Obama is scheduled to present the 2014 National Medal for Museum and Library Service to 10 institutions, including the Chicago Public Library, at a White House ceremony on Thursday.
In an announcement today, the White House described the award as “the nation’s highest honor given to museums and libraries for service to the community.”
“These 10 honorees exemplify the nation’s great diversity of libraries and museums and include a natural history museum, a children’s museum, a natural sciences museum, an aquarium, a botanic garden, public library systems, and a book center, hailing from 10 states,” the White House said.
Past winners from Illinois have included the Waukegan Public Library, Garfield Park Conservatory in Chicago, Gail Borden Public Library in Elgin, Pritzker Military Library in Chicago, Skokie Public Library, the Newberry Library in Chicago, Chicago Zoological Society in Brookfield, John G. Shedd Aquarium in Chicago, Chicago Botanic Garden in Glencoe, Lincoln Park Zoo in Chicago, the Field Museum in Chicago and the National Museum of Mexican Art (a Chicago museum known as the Mexican Fine Arts Center Museum at the time of its 1995 honor).
Joining the Chicago Public Library on the 2014 list are:
- Brooklyn Botanic Garden, Brooklyn, N.Y.
- Las Vegas-Clark County Library District, Las Vegas, Nev.
- Mid-Continent Public Library, Independence, Mo.
- Mystic Aquarium, Mystic, Conn.
- North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences, Raleigh, N.C.
- Octavia Fellin Public Library, Gallup, N.M.
- Sam Noble Oklahoma Museum of Natural History, Norman, Okla.
- The Children’s Museum of Indianapolis, Indianapolis, Ind.
- Yiddish Book Center, Amherst, Mass.
Read the story at: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2014-05-06/news/chi-chicago-public-library-to-receive-national-medal-from-first-lady-20140506_1_chicago-public-library-field-museum-natural-history